Tuesday, July 26, 2011

THE VERDICT IS IN...

….And we were told to continue enjoying our new boat and go ahead and make camping reservations! :) All jokes aside..Most of you have probably heard that Shane's A-mod motor was protested on Thursday night in Willmar. After tearing down the engine, the tech officials found that it did not meet Wissota's guidelines and they deemed his heads illegal. 

I debated whether or not to write our situation, as I know once all those 20/20 screen name hiders get wind of it, their keyboards will likely go up in smoke.  I don't mind a good old debate with an actual person, but some people feel empowered by writing, and put things they wouldn't normally say to your face. So that's why I don't post on 20/20...If you have a question or are just nosey and want some answers... Call me, find me, ask me! We have been honest with those that have called and came to us in person and have a ton respect for the fans/drivers that have wanted answers.

We bought this engine used from another Wissota racer. Our engine builder made us aware of the fact that these heads were borderline of following the Wissota rule book, but based on the cost to fix it we opted to leave it as it was. For safe measures, we had a local tech guy to our house to inspect it, and he ok'd it here in our garage. Scott's Engine shop did not do the work that was in question (as it was purchased that way) and we will continue to do business with him. We didn't fix what should have been fixed and realize it was a huge mistake on our part! But we will live, learn, and move on. The consequence is loss of points, a $1,000 fine, and a 30 day suspension from Wissota tracks. That last one could possibly be a blessing in disguise, as we have not been on a camping trip in over 10 years! We may possibly take a trip to Wisconsin Dells, and just do family things that we have sacrificed for the love of racing.

I know that this may have tainted our reputation, but I think back at all racers that I know that have been found with illegal parts and know that with time & proving them wrong, they have come back and done great things and are still respected in the racing community. I've learned that people will think what they want, regardless of how little or much they know. And I've learned that all people will have an impression of you and it's hard to change their mind-good or bad! A facebook friend posted this the following day, and really has changed my outlook on the situation...[One year from today, will the stress of today be such a big thing?] My answer is NO! We have always tried to keep things in perspective and not take things for granted, and remember that who you are in racing, does not defy who you are in life. Yes, racing is our life, but it's not real life. Our home is happy. Our jobs are happy. Our family is happy, and we grateful for the things we have.  


We apologize to our fans, family, sponsors, and competitors for any ill will this may have caused. And we thank all of you who have continued to show their loyalty and support to us.

Have a great week!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I've never met you or Shane, but after seeing this blog I feel I have gotten to know your family just a litte. From one racer to another I have respect what Shane has accomplished, and I know that comes with great sacrafice from the whole family. With your time away from wissota I hope you enjoy many of the things you have sacraficed to achieve all your success in racing.

Fouquette Racing said...

Enjoy your time off! It's just racing and there will be plenty of racing to come. Make the best of your break and enjoy a "normal" life for a while! I hope we find time to get together soon :-)

Jim Lunda said...

Sabraski family,
I feel bad that your out of racing for a while. I saw Shane race a couple times, but enjoyed reading all the "drama" (his wins, etc)about him on the 20/20 page in years past.
Hopefully we'll read about him in the future. Enjoy the time with your kids, they grow up fast.
Sincerely,
Jim Lunda
Proctor Speedway

Anonymous said...

Sabraski's,

Been following this blog for a couple of years and really enjoy it. I met Shane once at Princeton and have been a fan since. Enjoy the break if you really get one and most of us will be cheering when you and your family return to the track. Best of luck!

Bruce Chamberlin