Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Labors of Love

My parents have a few traditions with just the grandkids; like a yearly summer trip to the cabin, a day at the county fair, and making blankets at Christmastime to brighten someone's day.  Last year they brought them to the children at Shriner's Hospital in the cities and this year they are delivering them to the residence of a few group homes in the St. Cloud area.  So last night, we had to cut and tie all the fleece blankets, which wasn't exactly any of the kids' idea of fun, but none of them complained too much! (Owen's not complaining in the pic, he's just on break!)  I think it's a valuable lesson to them, that not everyone gets a bazillion toys/gifts for Christmas, and to make them aware of the beauty of giving!
 
 Left to Right: Ava, Madi, Owen, Sophia, Mason
 
Mason and Cassie
 
Cassie and Franklin (the oldest and the youngest of my nieces/nephews)
Finished product

 
A couple weeks ago, my mom and sisters and I did a freezer meal making day and whipped out 78 family-sized meals in about 3 hours. We each took 12 meals home, so it's been easy for me at dinner time since I'm not that much of a cook.  I mean, I CAN cook, but I just hate the clean-up, and the prep, and the mess, and the grocery shopping.  So yeah, pretty much nothing about cooking a meal is fun to me, unless eating it counts!

 
My nieces and sister made the aprons (which are hard to read here) and they were so fitting to each of us.
From left to right: "I didn't wash my hand" -because she only has one arm.
"I'm doo trunk to cook" -umm, you get it, right?!
"Bun in the oven" -she's pregnant
"Cake Boss" -she's a master cake decorator
"Fast Food" -goes with the racing gig
"Head Chef" -because she's mom!